|The information and/or topic discussed here is not up to date.|
emCORE on iPod Classic is DEPRECATED, please use the Rockbox bootloader instead.
- Make sure that you have python 2.6 or newer, libusb and pyusb >=1.0.0a0 installed
- Download the following files:
- Download "bootstrap-ipodclassic.dfu" file from the emCORE Releases page and store it in the same folder
- Connect the iPod to the computer
- Make sure the hold switch is turned off
- Press and hold the menu and select buttons for between 10 and 15 seconds - click here for a how-to video. The iPod will show an apple logo after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely The display of your iPod should now stay black.
- Run: 'sudo python ipoddfu.py bootstrap-ipodclassic-*.dfu' (If you have multiple python versions installed, make sure that you're using the version that pyusb is installed into)
Your iPod should now turn on and display "UMSboot." If you run 'sudo fdisk -l' a 64 MB drive will appear without partitions, for example /dev/sdb. Next create a mount point e.g. 'mkdir -p /media/disk' and mount the disk without specifying a file type, e.g. 'sudo mount /dev/sdX /media/disk' where X is the drive letter from the previous step. It's a known issue that Linux might take a long (over 10 min) time to recognize and mount the iPod. If it doesn't (after waiting very long), please ask for support.